Friday 19 June 2020

THE FOUR YEAR OLD SMOOTH CRIMINAL

I had gone to my hairstylist's for a quick do. Her kids were scrambling around,  constantly getting underfoot and occasionally getting into little fights as children are wont to do.

Finally, her daughter, a little girl of about six, acting all 'little mother' to her little brother and his friend suddenly let fly with a slap aimed right at his back.

He screamed and ran to report to his mother. She gave him a gimlet-eyed glare; you know the one mothers use when you're pushing your luck. 

He shifted backwards out of reach his little mouth thrust out in a pout.

I laughed and pulled him towards me as I used a tissue to dab at the tiny drop of tear beneath one eye. "Stop crying, Great. Your sister was only playing with you. She's still your friend right?"

He gave me a long considering look and nodded slowly.
He looked so sad and so cute, it tugged at my heartstrings. I pinched his cheek gently and sent him off to go play with his sister and his little friend again.

Next thing I heard was his baby voice announcing what had to be the lie of the century,  "Ayo, Aunty said I should beat you back."

Since I was obviously the 'Aunty'in question, I almost fell off my chair in surprise. "I said what now?"

A child-like slap landed on his older sister's face and she bore it stoically after all, "Aunty" had ordered her punishment.

I was still wrapping my head around it when Great ran up to me, his face as innocent as a cherub. I stared at him, unable to reconcile the bald-faced lying and the Machiavellian scheming with this tiny human with big eyes, chubby cheeks and even chubbier legs.

"Great, why did you do that? Why did you lie to your sister like that? Weren't you scared lying about what I told you?" I scolded.

He didn't respond. He offered another beatific grin, danced out of reach, and ran back  to his sister.

I listened for an apology only to hear his piping voice announce again, "Ayo Aunty said I should beat you again."
😲😲😲

Another slap landed on poor Ayo.

"Do something," I implored their mother.

She shrugged with marked unconcern,  "Ayo never first get sense." (Meaning "Ayo is being dumb so she deserved what she got").

Ayo received two more slaps in quick succession from the little fraudster and I decided I had had enough. I asked their mother to stop working on my hair for a minute. I grabbed Great and carried him from his sister before he beat her to a pulp in my innocent name.

I tried to explain  to him why lying was bad but he didn't seem to understand.  He kept giving me that beatific stare that hid the scary prowess of his little mind.

Finally, I loudly advised Ayo to retaliate if he came in my name again and after that he lost interest in his little game.

When we became lawyers, one of the first principles I learned was to expect lies from clients, colleagues, witnesses, the cops, anyone. If you are prepared for the lie, it's easier to spot it. But no one told me to expect such bold lies from four year olds...🙆‍♀️ It may seem like a small incident to some, but it really made me wonder.

Morale of the story? You tell me.

Sherina Okoye (2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment

KARMA IS FEMALE

 The last time I was in Lagos was for a one day conference and I was privileged to be there as Rapporteur.  I reserved my return ticket for ...