Wednesday 17 May 2017

SHERINA AND THE CHAUVINIST DRIVER



I'm in a good mood today. Yours truly was in a vehicle heading to work and as is common with vehicles, it suddenly developed some inexplicable fault that had everyone baffled. We all got down, gathered around and no one could decipher the problem. Note, I was minding my own business, innocently peeking at the complicated mass of wires beneath the bonnet just like everyone else. Oh and did I forget to mention, I was the only lady present. Anyway the driver looked up and asked if I had water in my bag for the car. I still refuse to dwell on why he asked me in particular when others also had bags in tow; probably because there is some unwritten law that says men do not carry water to work? Anyway I didn't have water. And next thing I know someone's father and husband said with as much contempt as he could muster, "Ehen. She will have makeup in her bag but not water".
Brethren, I must be in a very good mood today which is why I only met that foolish statement with the silence it richly deserves. This may come as a surprise to some, but trust me, women do have more pressing concerns than makeup . What can I say; the battle of the sexes is old as the fall of man, right? In essence to some folks every woman carries makeup around right? No problem; Uncle come and collect lipstick. I'm in a good mood...that's all I'm saying.




© 2017 by Sherina Okoye

No comments:

Post a Comment

KARMA IS FEMALE

 The last time I was in Lagos was for a one day conference and I was privileged to be there as Rapporteur.  I reserved my return ticket for ...